Our fascination with the paranormal continues with a list of some of the island’s creepiest addresses. We interview Ho Ee Kid, founder of Luv@Adventures, for the places that are guaranteed to raise the goosebumps big time. Would you dare venture to these spots on your own?
Tanglin Hill Brunei Hostel
42 Tanglin Road
This deserted, run-down building stands out like a sore thumb amongst the wealthy mansions in the area. The hostel has remained empty for more than 30 years, and has become a favourite haunt for those seeking spooky encounters. Erected in 1958 to house Bruneian students sent here to study, it was vacated in 1983 and never inhabited again. Those who have dared venture into its shell have said the premise does give them the chills.
Built in 1979, these blocks went up for en-bloc in 2002 and have since been left empty. The structure is now used by the Singapore Armed Forces for Urban Warfare training. Another hot spot for paranormal investigators, legends have it that “the king of banana trees” was planted nearby, and a gambler stuck 7 needles into the tree, hoping to coax the king to give him good fortune. The gambler took off, forgetting to pull the needles out, causing the death of the king. Today, many have claimed to spot female banana spirits and the Pontianak (a Malay female vampire) wandering the area.
Built in 1902, the Matilda House is one of the oldest houses in Singapore. Located in Punggol near to the Soo Teck LRT station, it originally belonged to Mr Alexander Cashin, whose family history in Singapore can be traced back to the early 1840s. Although the house was built for his wife, it was actually named after his mother. Due to disuse and lack of maintenance, the house fell into ruins. The white house is said to house evil spirits ever since it was abandoned and it was rumoured that 3 workers died during their attempts to demolish house. A lady with long hair too has been reportedly spotted sitting in the branches of surrounding trees. Matilda House was given conservation status by URA in February 2000. The house is now part of a new residential condominium complex which will be completed in 2015. After the facade and interior are restored, the building will be converted into a clubhouse.
Chee Guan Chiang House
25 Grange Road Located at 25 Grange Road is the Chee Guan Chiang House, also known as the House of the Soong Sisters. The cluster of 3 buildings with its orange and rounded facade sits on prime land. The entire property was actually put up for sale for almost a billion dollars in 2011. It was built in the 1930’s by Mr Chee Guan Chiang, eldest son of late Malacca born tycoon Chee Swee Cheng, the first chairman of the OCBC Group. Singapore Paranormal Investigators came up with the name Soong Sisters Mansion because the 3 mansions resemble the 3 highly influential sisters from China (not that they had ever stayed on the property!). Of the 3 buildings, one has been burnt down. The other 2 fallen into disrepair. You can still see a glimpse of how magnificent the property would have been in the day, but come night and the mood changes quickly and the entire place takes on a creepy undertone.
Only the main gates are left of the former Hillview Mansion. Located right at the top of a steep slope, the property stands out because it stands amongst residential houses and is just behind a condominium. Construction of the mansion began in the 1970s and for some reason, it was never completed. Legends have it that a rich man wanted to build the house for his mistress and the woman fell to her death while overseeing the progress of the construction. Since then, further attempts to complete building the house were frequently thwarted. In the early 2000s, the unfinished house was demolished but the land was left undeveloped – even to this day. There have been reports of wailings and sightings of mysterious light-globs by those brave enough to poke around. We just stayed inside our car.
Woodneuk Palace lies on a small hilly forest bounded by Holland Road and Tyersall Road. Built by Johor Sultan Abu Bakar for his fourth wife Sultana Khadijah, this was easily one of Singapore largest private residences in the late 19th century. Sultana Khadijah died in this house in 1904. Before she died, the Sultana sold the property to Sultan Abu Bakar’s son Sultan Ibrahim Iskandar who rebuilt the house in 1930 for his third wife, Scotland-born Sultana Helen Ibrahim. In 1942, it was used as a hospital for soldiers fighting in Singapore. That February, Japanese forces invaded Singapore and the hospital became a military target. A fire occurred and 700 medical workers and soldiers were burnt to death. The dilapidated house as well as the land still belongs to the royal family of Johor. Today, the house is deemed structurally unsafe. Its iconic blue-roof had collapsed. Paranormal investigators had claimed sightings of imperial guards stationed outside the house while in the big hall, well-dressed royalty, high society ladies and gentleman and businessman could be “seen” attending a party there.